Private Corporate Court System
There is a country where Big Business can completely bypass the court system and have cases brought by employees, customers, and individuals heard by a private court system that is overwhelmingly funded by the corporations themselves. In this country they can even totally prevent the bringing of any class action suits for any damage, fraud, or other illegal practice they may engaged in. These suits can only be brought individually and must be heard by this private court system. So what country is this in? Iran, North Korea, Afghanistan, Zimbabwe, Myanmar? No, this country is the United States!
Our “independent” Supreme Court has AGAIN sided with the huge corporations and just delivered the working people of the United States another body blow. In this new ruling, AT&T v. Concepcion, the Supreme Court has overturned lower federal Court decisions and given Big Business the ability to deprive you of your most potent weapon to fight back if you have been cheated or harmed by a corporation. In this ruling you will now no longer be able to use class action suits for redress against a corporation. This new ruling comes on top of the Citizens United v. FEC case where the Supreme Court declared that corporations have the same rights as individuals and were entitled to free speech where they were free to spend unlimited amounts of money to influence elections. In fairness to the impartiality of the Supreme Court, the poor as well as the rich both have the right to spend unlimited amounts of money for political purposes.
Consider this: If your phone company illegally charges you $10 on your bill and also does this to another million customers, the Supreme Court’s ruling allows companies to force consumers or employees into arbitration agreements that prevent them (you) from joining with the others to hold the company accountable. Big Business with its myopic focus on profits often cross the line into fraud, discrimination, and other illegal practices.
How many people have the money and time to take on the task if suing a corporation for $10 or even $1000? The only way this was possible was through the use of class action suits where the customers would join together and take on the wrongs of the corporations. This ruling will now make it nearly impossible to fight against Big Business’ malevolent behavior, and leaves consumers powerless to stop them if they do. This Supreme Court decision, basically allows the major corporations to ignore the law and because of the Citizens United case, to create corporate-made law for the rest of us as they use their economic might to hire the politicians to write laws that favor them.
The use of arbitration agreements on the surface sounds like a reasonable solution because no one wants to go through the turmoil of a lawsuit, and it does streamline any grievance process. However, in reality this amounts to a private corporate controlled court system. The largest arbitration firms are heavily biased in favor of Big Business and against consumers. Since an arbitration company must keep future possible cases in mind, it is in its interests to rule for Big Business and against consumers, and this fact is a blatant violation of any stated impartiality that they may profess.
The Citizens United v. FEC and the AT&T v. Concepcion cases, our Supreme Court has tilted the playing field heavily in favor of the corporations and against working people. The impliciations of such a radical tilt will certainly be felt as time goes by. Think of this, if AT&T decided to “make a mistake” of $10 on 1 million customers bills, it would make $10 million because of this mistake with probably only a small handful of people challenging it, and they would have to challenge it in the private corporate arbitration courts. What do you think are the odds that practices such as this will become common in the future as the nation marches closer and closer to a corporatocracy?
- Monsanto Death Genes
- Money Is Not Safe In The Big Banks
- How Many Warnings Do You Need?
- Socialism and Capitalism
- Climate Rally – Washington D.C. – Feb 17, 2013
- The Trillion Dollar Coin: What You Really Need to Know
- A Thief Lurks in the Shadows: Stealth of the Trans Pacific Partnership
- If you Like NAFTA, You’ll Love TPP
- A Better Way To Finance Public Projects
- New World Order Blueprint Leaked
- The Disease is our Monetary System
- The Money Masters Live in Fear
- Protecting the interests of the money changers, then and now!
- Occupy Evictions: Did the Money Masters Win?
- Mutterings from the Newt
- Move your bank
- Is the US becoming a Police State?
- A Tale of 3 Cities
- A Night with Occupy Wall Street
- “More”, is never enough!
- New Jersey Betrayal
- What Organizers and YOU Can Do For Effective Change
- New Jersey throws pensioners under the bus
- The Corporate States of America
- Private Corporate Court System
- Citizens Close Tax Evader Bank
- Sounds of Resistance
- Successful parasites do not kill their hosts
- Are you WILLINGLY paying a 3% tax?
- Are we solving the ROOT CAUSE of our economic problems?
- Are your actions really consistent with your religious beliefs and your love of country?
- Symptoms of a Police State?
- Redirected anger
- Wrong Question!
- Student Debt Burden Solution Part 3
- Student Debt Burden Solution Part 2
- Student Debt Burden Solution Part 1
Rome crumbles while the nation numbs its mind with gladiator games (football, etc), propaganda and opinion masquerading as news, celebrity worship, and corporate drivel such as: reality shows, Dancing with the Stars, and American Idol.